Friday, November 18

Fighting Cancer - Treatment has begun

Yesterday my waiting period for getting treatment for cancer started.

It has gone 20 weeks since my doctor at Rikshospitalet based upon a PSA value of 39 asked another department / hospital at OUS, Radiumhospitalet, to perform thorough evaluations of me and my body.
Eight weeks later I received a short letter stating: …. your biopsy samples show unfortunately Prostate Cancer."
Since that letter arrived 67 days of tests, discussions and waiting time have passed. The PSA value has increased to 46, and the "Warranty for treatment within 20 working days" from our PM J.Stoltenberg has been documented as empty electoral words only. I can absolutely copy another government member´s statement: Jens, "du veit ikkje ka du snakkar om" (you don´t know what you talking about).
Well, I must admit that I am probably among those 20% with cancer that are not included in his warranty, but is 20 weeks waiting time  an acceptable process time for starting the treatment?.

However, yesterday the Treatment started.
I am happy, my family is happy and although the treatment is "only" palliative for the coming three to six months, I expect to go on with my life as before.
I have had over 17 years since Dr Arthur T H Tan and his teams in Singapore saved my life after severe anterior myocardial infarctions, and nearly 14 years since the highly qualified and professional staff at Rikshospitalet made it possible to replace my destroyed heart and kidney through a simultaneous TX-Cor and TX-Renis operation.
If a new surgery within some months will remove the cancer tumor through prostatectomy, or the present treatment for me will be the final conclusion, remain to be seen.
I know that doctors and nurses are doing their best every day. Hopefully the politicians will give them the resources needed to fill their words, and help more people getting started with cancer fighting treatment.

In the meantime join the Movember movement.

4 comments:

Rune Eide said...

Prostata behandlingen i Norge (og resten av verden for den del) er skam. Det er en sykdom som det nesten ikke snakkes om. Den er ikke "politisk riktig", selv om det er den hyppigste kreftformen i Norge. Jeg har ikke sett noen "sløyfeaksjon" for disse? Kanskje fordi den bare rammer "gamle menn"? Hvilket den faktisk ikke gjør -stadig yngre grupper får den.

Det er alminnelig kjent i medisinske miljøer at det forskes lite sammenlignet med f.eks. cancer mamma, både pga politiske og medisinske grunner (det er letter å forske på cancer mamma).

Jeg har selv nær slekt som har fått en behandling av systemet som ikke står til troendes. Jeg håper inderlig for din del at du får den nødvendige behandling i tide.

Rune Eide said...

Jeg glemte å legge til at du kledde den barten :-)

Reise Tom said...

ouuuh, i wish you good luck!

shaun said...

good luck too..