Tuesday, December 23

Single in Christmas

As posted two weeks ago I cancelled the Season celebration this year. In and out of hospital, not knowing when operation could take place and the condition afterward, made it impossible to book tickets to Wales.
In addition I had some bad bad experience with the Cymric Medical system almost two years ago, so I did not take the chance to go over there in my presently post operation condition.

But, that gives also the possibility to post some thoughts about the situation many single persons have every Christmas.
First: How I made the best out of a situation.
My photo shows my small-Christmas dinner yesterday. Leftover Pinnekjøtt with all necessary ingredients except no beer and akevitt but red Italian Barbera-wine, and some shortcuts in utensils. Instead of using candelabra and our Rosenthal Chinaware and silver, I chose the V&B Alpina and kitchenware from Ilovan. Straight forward, no fuzz, but delicious. My company this evening was TV and the old movie from 1990 "Pretty Woman" (seen it many times before), and text messages and iPhone photos from Wales where my better part could read Calvin and Hobbes (Tommy og Tigern) christmas cartoon together with Helene.
Please do not feel sorry for me. I am fine. Tonight I will have a great Christmas Eve Dinner with my daughter and her family-in-law. I have chosen the situation myself and have all the resources available to make the best out of the situation.

But there are single persons out there who are in such a situation every year, and may be all the time. There are also many persons in hospital beds unable to make any of my choices. I am privileged, and could even use the situation to make a blogpost about it.

I just had to be reminded that Merry Christmas and a Happy Season Celebration is not to be taken for granted.

11 comments:

Berit T said...

Ønsker deg en fin julehelg, og et riktig godt nyttår. Håper du har det bra!

Anonymous said...

Fantastisk å se slikt et julebord Arne! :-)
Det så virkelig godt ut! Jeg tenker at du virkelig koste deg i går kveld. :-) Det var godt du ikke glemte rødvinen! ;-)
Ønsker deg og dine en riktig God Jul!
Hilsener fra May i Sandnes.

VP said...

ArneA,

So glad your waiting time is over and that you will still be enjoying the season.

Have a happy and healthy New Year!

Reader Wil said...

I have been thinking of you all the time, hoping that your situation will soon be better.I wish you all the best and a very merry christmas together with your family! and a healthy 2009.

Rune Eide said...

Synd at det må være slik, men det ser ut for at du klarer det bra. Lykke til med kvelden og God Jul!!

Neva said...

ArneA, how poignant.....yet such a strong message. The best to you today and always......

Miss_Yves said...

Best wishes , have a good health !
I wish you a merry christmas to you and your family !

Gerald (SK14) said...

Indeed one can have a good Christmas without the over-indulgence - ours will be somewhat similar to yours - best wishes.

Pernille said...

Så sant som det er sagt, Arne! Julen kan være veldig tung og ensom for mange! det er noe en burde tenke mye mere på!

Håper du hadde en flott kveld sammens med din datter og at du er frisk og flott!

Fortsatt God jul til deg:)
Og natti natt:)

Marie said...

Ser at du har gjort det beste utav situvasjonen. Godt å ha den evna!

Kos deg i kveld :)

Takk for kontakten i året som har gått, håpar på like god kontakt i året som kjem :)

Klem

Maria Verivaki said...

happy holidays!
the festive food looks great!