Sunday, February 10

Post Transplant Challenges

I am sitting here this Sunday morning with my hand full of the medicine I have to take. Not only for today but every day. (in addition four more tablets in evening dose). In close to ten years these volumes of medicine have been taken every morning and evening after my combined Heart-Kidney-Transplantation spring 1998.

Well, I am still alive. Not only exposed death, but able to Live.
In Norway (according to information from Transplant doctors in 2006) the survival rates for Heart Transplants were as follows:
_. 1 year: 86.1% (males), 83.9% (females)
_. 3 years: 78.3% (males), 74.9% (females)
_. 5 years: 71.2% (males), 66.9% (females)
Mean survival in these patients is 12 years. With an expected survival of less than one year without transplantation, these are strong results that compare well with international figures. Patients younger than 50 years at transplantation have the best prognosis regardless of donor age, while the combination of patients older than 50 years and donor above 35 years have the poorest chance of survival.As I started this post, medication is mandatory, and I likely have to take these or other drugs for the rest of my life.
Even with the best possible match between me and the donor, my immune system will try to reject the new kidney and/or heart. My drug regimen will include medications to suppress my immune system.
Some of these medications may cause noticeable side effects. Steroid-like medications can make my face become round and full. I will gain weight, develop acne or facial hair, or experience stomach problems.
Because medications to suppress my immune system make my body more vulnerable to infection, my doctors also have prescribed antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal medications. Some of the immune system medications have also an increase for the risk of developing or aggravating certain conditions, such as cancer.

My post-transplant treatment are a delicate balancing act between preventing rejection and managing unwanted side effects. My doctors monitor the treatment adjust it as needed.

That is why I can blog about this and share some of the challenges with you. That is why my blog heading can tell "Det er godt å leve" (It´s great to Live)

"og om litt er kaffen klar"

9 comments:

Anne said...

Har fader ta meg sett det verre gitt !!!

Fin søndag til deg :-)

Anne said...

Du gutten.... ser du har skrevet og referert litt rundt BMI i noen innlegg her... Hvilken BMI tror du Tom Cruise har ???

Rune Eide said...

Mye bra her - og vi står han av!

Rune Eide said...

Meg igjen: Takker for kommentaren, men jeg tror du må ha misset noen innlegg - ta en titt på kommentarfeltet mitt :-)

Dick said...

Yes it is. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Andrea said...

Wow, that is a lot of medicine. But if that is what it takes to stay alive and healthy, swallow away. We need you here so we can read your blog. :)

Klara said...

Lærerikt. Takk for at du deler.

Leslie: said...

I take 3 pills at breakfast and 2 at dinner. I thought THAT was too much, but whatever is needed to keep a person alive and healthy one must take. So glad you're with us today! :D

Sharon said...

It is great to live - really live. I can tell from your blog that you take intrest in life, in things around you. Keep up the good work!